Monday, April 24, 2006

What Is Success? Continued

This is a continuation of Monday's post, prompted by a question from Ely. Thanks again, Ely.

Good Days and Bad Days

As I have lived my life, I have come to believe that one should cherish the good days that we encounter. As I view it, they are few and far between. In fact, looking back over my 50 years on this earth, I can think of only about a dozen days which I would consider "really good days." And that's not too bad, in my view. In the current world, it is difficult to ignore the bad and see only the good. At least it is for one who is hard wired like I am. You know, the kind of day that you will remember for the rest of your life. Sure, there are a lot more days when something good happens, or maybe a few good things. But, those don't count, at least not to me. I'm talking about days where every waking moment was simply special. Now, for those who I mentioned who choose to remain in the box, I'm sure that their good days likely outnumber the bad ones. I'm sure that they must believe that I am a miserable creature, limiting my perspective to such a small dose of goodness. But, I wonder if they can really enjoy, remember and appreciate the truly good days that I speak of, in the same way that I remember them? I honestly don't know the answer to that, and clearly never will.

Ely's story, about his friend who recently passed away, reminded me of one of the truly good days that I remember. I will not bore you with all 12 of my good days, but I feel compelled to tell you about this one. This event occurred some seven or eight years ago.

My wife, daughter and I were to meet our best friends at a small lake where my best friend’s father owns a trailer. We do this a couple of times a year. Build a campfire, have burgers, brats and dogs on the grill and just hang out. For some reason that now escapes me, our friends could not make it, but we trudged on to spend time with his parents. The lake contains very few fish, but we fish anyway in hopes of catching one of the dozen or fish that somehow survive the "catch and release" program. I had known for some time that my friend was in desperate need of some new paddles for his canoe and johnboat, so I purchased a couple and gave them to him as a gift. He was shocked, and grateful.

We were set, turned on the trolling motor and headed across the lake to the "hot spot," where we knew that at least one of the fish hung out. We told stories and laughed a lot as we casted until our arms were ready to fall off, without, of course, even getting a strike. Not an unusual occurrence at this lake. But, we weren’t there to catch dinner, but to talk and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Darkness was setting in and it was nearing dinner time, so we decided to head back to the trailer to begin the evening festivities of burgers, a campfire and chat. We had gone no more than 20 feet when the trolling motor died, so we were forced to paddle back across the lake. I looked down for the new oars, and they were no where to be seen. I asked my friend's father (also one of my closest friends) where the oars were, and he said "back at the trailer." I mentioned that I had spent good money on these oars and that they really weren’t going to do us much good sitting on the shore across the lake, and we began laughing. The next thing I know, my friend puts his fishing pole in the water and begins paddling like mad. Amazingly, we began moving. I was laughing, put my pole in as well and we were paddling our little hearts out. We probably topped out at 1 mile per hour, but hey, we were moving. At some point, I burst out in laughter and had tears rolling down my face. New oars sitting on the dock, and here we are paddling with fishing poles the diameter of an eighth of an inch. At some point during the journey, he scolded me, saying, "I’m doing all the work here, you are not even paddling." That simply brought more laughter and tears.

When we finally returned to the dock, our families told us that they could hear us cackling with laughter all the way across the lake. They were wondering if our mental elevators had finally reached the basement and weren't coming back up.

I tell this, knowing full well that it was probably one of those "you had to be there to really appreciate it" stories. But, Ely telling of his friend who recently passed away, made me think of it. My friend is getting up there in years, and who knows how many opportunities we will have to "fish" together again. He and his son are perhaps the finest people I know, and I will cherish that day and evening until the day I die. It was a small moment in time, but absolutely a good day.

Friends

I mentioned that I could count my "true friends" on one hand or at most a hand and a half. And you know? I don’t mind that. I am often preoccupied with things flying around in my head, and appear aloof to many people. I honestly don’t put a lot of emphasis on making friends, probably a fault of mine. For that reason, many people, some of whom I have known for many years, think that I don’t like them. This is not true, but that is the impression that is left with them. I can’t help how other people perceive me. Well, I could, I guess, but I honestly don’t spend a lot of time worrying about it. I am who I am, and one can accept it or not. I do not expect people to change themselves to make me feel better, and if they are waiting for me to change for their sake, they will be disappointed. I try to be polite to all, but beyond that, it is what it is.

I say this leading up to another thing that Ely said, about this collection of people who have gravitated to the Real Deal. I have no idea how this has happened. I have done zero advertising for this web site, have not spent one dime promoting it, yet a whole lot of people have found their way here. I have had people with their own web sites write and ask me how I have managed this, many saying that they might get 10 people per week at their sites. Unfortunately, I have no answer for them. I honestly do not know how you all found this place, but somehow you have, and we have stuck together. This leads to my point.

There are literally millions of sites out there, so many places to receive information and make comments. I know that a handful of you have come here from Alternet, though there aren’t that many. I also don’t recall, more than a time or two, ever mentioning this site on Alternet. I remember telling Stoney about it way back when, and maybe another person or two in personal comments, or as personal as they can be in a place like that. Yet somehow we have come together as one in cyberspace, a place called the Real Deal. Some have come and gone, but for the most part people who have arrived here have stayed through the long haul. I simply write what I feel, and am wrong as much as I am right. Yet we hang together.

It has been interesting for me to learn about each of you who email me personally and those of you who choose to make comments on the blog. There are a much larger percentage of people who read what is written but never leave a comment. Some of you who do not comment write me personal emails. This is much like talk radio, where the vast majority of people listen but never consider making a phone call to the show. In fact, the numbers of just such people are staggering. I still do not believe the number of people who visit here, on a near daily basis. Most never appear on the blog, but I feel like I know the ones who either do comment or send me information through email. Many of the things that I am sent I am already aware of, but some I am not. Let it be known, all of the things that you guys send me are appreciated. It keeps me on my toes and alerts me to things that are written in other places, things that without you I would not know about. Now to friends, which I believe was the point of all of this before I began some inane babble.

There is no doubt that what Ely said about all of us is true. If we were somehow a community, living in close proximity to one another, I’m sure that we would get along splendidly. Our views of the world are remarkably similar, and I find it astounding that we have somehow found each other on the internet. Some power beyond my comprehension has allowed this to occur. I have no doubt about that; something, for some reason, has brought us together. I can proudly say that, should we all meet someday, somewhere, I would need more than a hand or a hand and a half with which to count my friends.

What Is Success?

Combined with a few things from Monday's post, that, my friends, is success. Success for all of us. My hope is, that someday soon, we will find a way to meet one another, and figure out a way to survive whatever the world brings us, together.

Cyclone



"Now, we talked to Joan Hanover. She and her husband, George, were visiting with us. They are near retirement—retiring—in the process of retiring, meaning they’re very smart, active, capable people who are retirement age and are retiring."

George W. Boosh; Alexandria, Virginia; February 12, 2003
(naw, money and a name can't get a blithering idiot in and out of Yale & Harvard in good standing)

12 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger stoney13 said...

Those little nuggets you get once in a while in life are what it's all about. If you can get the people around youn and your companions to truely be concerned as to your mental state, then your having a very good time! And the nice thing about it is these times don't have schedules, or deadlines. And nobody can tell you to get off the ride untill you're damn good and ready to get off!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Reality said...

Cyclone,

I have to say that this is probably your best post yet!!!

I think that most people would find that when the oportunity arises for them to need their friends, they have many more than they would guess. Some of them, of course, will have varying degrees of commitment or attachment but many more than expected. At our core we are still social animals. We do better together. I suppose it will always be that way.

Here's to friends...
Reality

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is out of the current subject, but I though it was worth showing you guys, enjoy:

Some proposals for reform
By DOUG THOMPSON
Apr 24, 2006, 07:32

Let's brainstorm for a bit about how we can really reform the American political system.

Forget, for the time being, the partisan notion that replacing the political party in control of Congress or the White House with another will magically fix the nation's ills and concentrate instead on the process itself and the ability of elected officials to turn what our forefathers saw as public service into a lifelong career where greed, corruption and lust for power rules.

I've been around politics for some four decades - three of them in journalism and one inside the political machine - and that's long enough to form some ideas on what might or might not work when it comes to serious reform.

So here's the beginning of what will be a series of proposals for ways to radically reform and fix a flawed system:

ABSOLUTE TERM LIMITS: Eight years. Period. Combined. We limit the President to eight years in office. Let's do the same in Congress. Reduce Senate terms from six years to four and limit Senators to two four-year terms; House members to four two-year terms.

Do we allow someone to serve eight years in the House, followed by eight years in the Senate and then eight years as President? No. That's 24 years. The limit is eight years: Combined. This is supposed to be public service, not a career.

TERM LIMIT STAFF AS WELL: Washington is full of career political appointees. In too many cases, these career political prostitutes run Congressional offices and agencies. The limit for political service, appointed or elected, is eight years. After that they have to join the elected officials and go out into the world and get a real job.

SHORTEN THE ELECTION SEASON TO 60 DAYS: The political election season is now 24/7. Too long. Way too long. All primaries within the first 30 days and the general election campaign runs no more than one month.

ELIMINATE PRESIDENTIAL NOMINATING CONVENTIONS: After the 30-day primary season, if a candidate has won enough to win the nomination outright, he or she gets the nod. If not, delegates meet for one day and cast ballots. No convention. No hoopla.

GIVE VOTERS THE OPTION TO REALLY SAY "NO:" Put "None of the above" on the federal ballot and make it binding. Don't like any of the candidates? Give voters the options to say they want new choices. If "None of the above" gets more votes than any candidate then nobody is elected and you have to have a new election within 60 days with new candidates.

ELIMINATE THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE: This is supposed to a system where the majority rules. That's not always the case. We've had Presidential elections where a majority of voters in the country picked on President and the electoral college picked another. Let's eliminate a system where campaigns concentrate on "key states" and the rest of the country is left out in the cold. Let the majority rule.

LIMIT CONGRESSIONAL SESSIONS TO 60 DAYS: Our forefathers didn't foresee Congress as a full-time operation. They were right. Congress meets for 60 days to consider the legislation to keep the country running. No more. No long recesses, no four-day workweeks. They put in 40-hour workweeks just like most working stiffs and then they go home because nobody's life, liberty or property is safe while Congress is in session.

MAKE CONGRESSIONAL PAY TRULY REPRESENTATIVE: Pay House members the median income for the district they represent. Senators get the median income for their state. This is public service, not a chance to live large at taxpayer expense. They say they represent average Americans. Let them live like it.

This is the start of what will be a series of columns focused on real reform of the process that governs our lives, a process I believe has gotten out of control and can be fixed only through drastic change.

It's a start but it won't be the end. On May 1, we will be launching a grassroots effort to reform the system, a non-partisan educational organization that will focus on fixing the system.

Stay tuned. The fun is about to begin.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Reality said...

Anonymous,

Assuming that this is not SPAM I am seeing...

I have a few questions.

If you limit everyone in government to 4 years total, then wouldn't Federal service go from a career to a recruiting ground for corporations? You know, pass this bill for me, and you've got a job in 4 years since you are going to need it.

If you limit everyone to two terms, isn't everyone's second term a Lame-Duck session? How can you expect them to serve your interests if they have no reason to run again (or work on staff again)? Does your two term max include public interest groups and lobbyists, since in this system they are the primary source of information?

If you keep reps from frequently visiting their home state, then don't you keep them out of touch with the citizens you are trying to make them represent? And by pushing sessions down to 60 days, aren't you eliminating any chance of accomplishing the momentous workload which our Federal system handles?

If you limit campaigns to 60 days, don't you effectively eliminate the journalists' (the few left) ability to research the truth of what the candidate is saying, and their true history? Wouldn't this effectively put the totality of candidate information directly into the hands of the major medias ad services?

Not Trolling here. I have seen these proposals many times before, and I have never seen anyone answer these questions.

Curious...
Reality

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger stoney13 said...

Reality,

I've been reading Doug's stuff for years. Except with a very few things, (and I mean VERY few) I've not found much to disagree with. Usually the second place I go after my email and The Real Deal is either Alternet, or Capitol Hill Blues. I don't post there much even though I'm registered. And to tell you the truth, I haven't been on Alternet since they banned me! TWICE!! I sometimes post othe comments at the end of a story, but I've found out they are getting alot like Alternet got and allow the Repugs, Neocons, and every other cold clammy creature that lives under rocks sling right-wing bullshit in all directions!

My problem's that I just simply don't like trolls! If one of them sticks his head out from under mt bridge, I will piss on it! I will piss on it, and I will NOT apologise for it! If a troll is so in love with Bush let him proclaim his love to Rush Limbaugh's faithful!

Aw shit! There I go ranting off topic! More pot. Need more pot!

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger stoney13 said...

Reality,

That post was for Anonymous! Sorry about that!

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Singapore,

The full URL of the imagination of great depression 2 living is
http://www.dailyreckoning.com
/Issues/2006/WEDR042206.html

FLOTSAM AND JETSAM: DR reader Darren Tulk took our question of what everyday life would be like for an average American in the face of the next Great Depression a few steps further than others. Read on...

A Day in a Life
by DR reader Darren Tulk

The alarm clock stirs us to life once again. As one of the "lucky few" still employed, I must get ready for work.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Reality said...

Stoney,

No problem, man. I do it all the time myself.

I just fired at him because I am not really fond of people trying to get free advertising by posting off subject mat in other people's blogs. Spam is VERY high on my hit list. The questions are valid, though.

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reality,

I agree, your questions are valid. I most wholeheartedly disagree with the suggestions but for different reasons.
I still insist that it is bad engineering to patch up a machine that is not functioning properly and knowing it will just break somewhere else. Design a better machine and substitute it. An example of this in the real world is Microsoft. The original design looked good, had a multiplicity of flaws and they just keep patching it together. Never solving the basic problems. Meanwhile the users have to put up with blue screens of death and slow downs, lock ups and invasions. Better systems have been designed.

Back on the subject. The personal stories and discussion about success I have been reading and thinking about. Very interesting to me. It appears that success on a personal basis is entirely dependent on our personal value system, whatever it may be. Change the value system and what we look at as success also changes.

I will throw out a generalized perception. Success is what you feel when you are a whole person and have become the best you can be. Sort of a Zen position?

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Reality said...

Murph,

I think you sum it up well.

I certainly agree about Microsoft and the problem with patching a bad system (kind of my area of expertise). That's a good part of the reason I use Ubuntu for my OS. It's also why I buy used goods whenever possible, and why I recommend heat pumps over water heaters.

When a company starts to design in failure of goods for increased profits or reduced production to artificially inflate prices and profits, I start designing in replacing with a brand that doesn't or repairing used goods. I think that applies to many areas other than commercial consumption.

On your comments about success, I couldn't say it any better than that, man.

 
At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Foks,

It appears that the house is about to vote on a bill that is certainly going to affect all of us. It is this internet bill that gives corporations the legal means to censure sites they don't like. Here is at least one of the sites that talkes about it and advocates pressure against it.
http://www.savetheinternet.com

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger stoney13 said...

Murph,

I joined up at the site and fired off emails to everybody on the list! Everybody that uses the internet for any reason needs to get their shit together on this! Fill your legislator's inbox with your displeasure! If your really lucky you might get one of those dandy form letters to brighten up the shit-jack wall!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home