Wednesday, March 28, 2007

THE SECRET OF ENOUGH

Here is a Post from Freeacre that is on a subject that we discuss peripherally on a frequent basis.

Murph


The Secret of Enough

freeacre

A couple of weeks ago, I caught an Oprah show devoted to “The Secret” of creating an abundant life. On it, James Ray and Rev. Michael Beckwith were discussing the pretty classic teachings of Abundance Consciousness or the Law of Attraction. In a nutshell, they teach that “like attracts like”. The energy that you put into the world, both good and bad, is what comes back to you. You create the circumstances in your life with the choices that you make every day. Another way to put it is “what you put your attention into, you get more of.”

Personally, I have benefited from this type of thinking. A minister of mine once asked me, “Do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy?” in reference to relationship difficulties I was having with my late husband. Most of my focus had been on in depth analysis of what was “wrong” with him, down to the bitter detail. But, when I chose to look at what was right, and go for the good, the relationship substantially changed for the better.

The idea that we come from an abundant universe and that we are limitless spiritual beings having a human experience can be somewhat misleading, however. In fact, it can be downright destructive and annoying, as portrayed by Matt Savinar on his Life After the Oil Crash website. He writes concerning “The Secret”…

…it makes negative thinking almost heretical. As though there is something fundamentally wrong with you for being upset that your children's' futures have been mortgaged to die in the Middle East so that bloated Oprah viewers could drive their Urban Assault Vehicles from their McMansions to the movie houses at the shopping malls they've been so lustfully attempting to manifest themselves.

Turning positive thinking into a religion while making negative thinking heretical is great for the interests who don't want you getting upset should you realize there's a connection between the giant McMansion you've been visualizing and the dead bodies coming back from Mesopotamia. This is the real "mark of the beast." Bullsh-t propaganda designed to get you to smile as you sacrifice your freedom, your sovereignty, your children, your neighbor's children, etc for the gratification of your own beastly nature.

Of course they've got your son watching "300" so he can't wait to go die in Mesopotamia so I guess it all works out in the end. Wow, what a coin-inky-dink.

The really sad thing is even if you do figure out what the game is, most of your neighbors will not as they've been totally suckered and atomized themselves. That's the whole point, as long as they've got everybody visualizing their own personal aggrandization, nobody is going to band together. After all, why should I care about what is happening to other people when I believe it's just a matter of time before I manifest myself a career as a rock star or business mogul living in a giant home, driving a giant car, wearing a giant fake hair-piece and married to a blonde bimbo with giant fake boobs?”

Lololol… Matt pretty well summed up my own objections to “The Secret” as it is portrayed in the popular media. If one is a shallow narcissist, then one’s idea of their greatest good will most probably be status symbols – big cars, fancy houses, designer clothes, etc. etc. They’ll have no thought of the consequences of their purchases or of their actions. With that outlook, it is easy to blame people with less on their own sense of lack and let them stew in the products of “their own limitation”. It’s easy to discount our own complicity in the culture of corruption and greed which brings death and destruction to the millions who are systematically denied the prerequisites for “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” while they labor in sweatshops or mines to produce our trinkets and toys. Or fight or die in our resource wars.

But, on the other hand, I have been able to manifest my dream of relocation and preparedness for the coming meltdown in a way that I would have thought to be a miracle, even though it is admittedly small potatoes compared to others that are more financially endowed. In fact, living in our forty year old mobile home in Central Oregon, on less than twenty thousand dollars a year, with a flock of chickens providing our main source of entertainment, would be considered pitiful by a lot of people’s standards. And yet, in many ways, I feel rich.

I have a loving and supportive relationship with the Murphman, who is my husband and best friend. Our place is paid for free and clear. We have a year’s worth of food stored up. And, I have been able to manifest FREE TIME and not have to be gainfully employed so I can take care of my health until I can collect social security in a couple of years (hopefully). It is enough for me. In fact, it is plenty.

When I started on this quest to cultivate abundance consciousness, I was dead broke. I began Science of Mind classes at the United Church of Religious Science back in 1985 or so. I figured that if the class worked, I’d somehow manifest the money to pay for it. Surprisingly, it worked. I took the classes for five years, and it was truly transformational. I became a licensed practitioner and practiced for twelve years at the Carson City church in Nevada. During that time, I was also in a women’s spiritual drumming circle for eight years in Tahoe. I studied “A Course in Miracles”.

In that time, in my own way, I did experience miracles. I did open up to a sense of personal power and the loving support of an intelligent and responsive universe. But it wasn’t quick or easy. It did require self discipline. It required being in integrity and not lying at all. Not cheating on anything. Not going back on my word. And, that was just for starters…

Now, I am no Deepak Chopra or Neale Donald Walsch, that’s for sure. But, I think I have something to add to the mix that is missing from the greater New Age culture: the concept of “enough”.

If one truly recognizes the beauty and integrity of this limitless universe of which we are all a part, then one will also note the balance and connection that keeps it all functioning. Our system of unlimited growth to support capitalism and our lifestyle of more and more to sustain that cancer-like growth of money or goods, is what is killing us now. Our land, air, rivers, and oceans are polluted, dying, and making us sick. There are too many people for this planet to sustain.

But, it is almost “un-American” to say “enough.” The very dollars that we use for currency are loaned to us with interest. So, right there, we constantly need more of them just to stay even. The struggle for more is the fabric of our culture. More products, more services, more buyers, more sellers, more profits, more dividends – and all these require ever more resources. But, there are a finite amount of resources on this planet. So, until we have the ability to exploit additional planets, we better begin to get our minds around the concept of “enough.” We don’t have a “Miracle Max” (Billy Crystal in “Princess Bride”) to pull us out of this one.

I have a ways to go in terms of wrestling my own consciousness around this issue. I think it is the challenge of our generation to come to terms with “How much is enough?” How much money is enough? How many things are enough? How much food is enough? How much recognition is enough? How much power is enough? How much control is enough? How much time is enough?

At this time, for instance, many Americans spend more money on medical drugs and procedures just before they die than in any other part of their lives. This is in order for them to extend their lives for a few extra months or years while the medical industry picks whatever they can get from their pockets, savings, pensions, or estates until they are finally allowed to croak and their families are disinherited. What if people decided that it was not necessary to have that open heart surgery at 85 or that colostomy at 90 or a lung transplant at 50? What if they just decided to be grateful for the life that they’ve led and move on before the big transfer of their resources to the medical establishment took place?

What is enough? How does it feel to have enough? What will I do differently when I have a sense of enough?

These are questions that need to be addressed if we are to prepare for the scarcity that is to come or make plans that are sustainable. We won’t be free until we can create a sense of what is enough.

19 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger murph & freeacre said...

Yes, Matt. It kind of ties in with the conversation currently going on at Archdruid's site as well... continuing to seek answers along the same lines as what gave you the problem in the first place. "More is better, more is better." Less oil? Use coal, uranium, hydrogen, whatever, but KEEP IT ALL GOING. Hardly anyone questions it, or suggests that maybe we need to do less, have more time to think, learn to live and die with grace. Conserve, share, cultivate regard for ALL living things, not just us. I believe that we are co-creators of our lives, but need to learn to create that which we can all live with.

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me see now, went to atm machine to check bank balance,hmmmm ok it spits out the little piece of white paper and the numbers say $9.46,well i get ssi check tomorrow of $160 so so what? Today was sunny and warm so in anticipation of the coming weekend and the arrival of two sons from the coast,one sons honey bun and the new grand daughter,,life is most grand.
Went to the forest today with good friend and sawed some firewood from downed trees to fuel fire that will contain the rocks needed to heat water for new sweat lodge.Fuck thats a long sentence huh? i flunked English and spelling so thats that.
The point being here is to say Freeacre is right on the money as far as i am concerned. Encountered science of mind long ago and it is a very real thing to know that no matter what happens we all make our own lives whether we are aware of it or not, most don't i think.
i have had money, lots and lots of it and it has its own consequences, especially if one comes from a place of just making it from paycheck to paycheck.
It was illegal of course and i did the time in a federal prison and that was lesson in humility for sure but ok. It doesn't matter where you are or what you are encountering there, theres always something to learn about your self and the ways of the self as a guide to a life of abundance, and there you go, abundance, you don't have to ask for it, the spirit has already given it to you, all you have to do is just look around and soak up the love energy of mother-father earth and the fascinating relations that live here with us.Hell i live on $600 bucks a month and a few perks from the system for being the oldest hippy in the usofa and happy just to be alive and still able to function on a really good healthy level,that coupled with the fact that i still have a 16 year old son in the nest whom is one of my best friends as well?....its good.
Maybe it just takes a number of years or whatever to come to a point where one realizes that the system is nasty in places and not to go there. i thank it happens all the time one way or another.

i think the free will thing as opposed to set destiny is a waste of natural resources and the time taken up for its arguments could better be served on something usful, just a thought.

Anyway, thank you Freeacre,wish there were more of you to go around,your insights and experience in life have done you most excellent,and to be able to pass them on is even more icing on the cake,we are grateful for your words of love and kindness.Murph is indeed a lucky man.

We are blessed.
We are thankful.
It is a good day to die.
aho
mf

 
At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enough. I know a roofer and he's always telling me about the person, who's 65+/- years old, that needs a new roof and wants him to install a slate one, which, if done right, lats 50 years.
Go figure.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger stoney13 said...

I'm still a "wage slave", but I know a lot of people out there who have a shitload worse. I work for a pretty good company, and they pretty much accept me like I am, and don't give me a lot of grief. I've yet to been handed that damned "urinalisis" cup, so my smart-ass coment about "You want it in a glass, or do you want to drink out the hose", hasn't been required.

My wife and I have a nice little cabin in the mountains, two fine sons, and a daughter and grand daughter. It's enough for us!

Fuck a bunch of SUVs, Mcmansions, and all the rest! Untill a few years ago, I never owned a vehicle I hadn't built myself out of the best junk I could find at the time, and home was whereever I happened to be at the time!!

Life's good and I'm diggin' it! Montanna Freeman and I may be the oldest hippies on the planet, but I sleep real good at night, and the people around this town respect me, even if it's done grudgingly sometimes. For me, that's enough!

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger TWOORMORE said...

Thanks for a great rift. I think that we do need to have the concept of enough -- at least on a physical, material level. I think that the place we, as a species, will begin to explore more is on the level of consciousness. And to that end, the fact that "The Secret" is as popular as is is speaks volumes.

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

Thought I would sit by the camp fire long enough to say how glad you folks have made my heart - and to add a couple of stories - I have know FA and Murphy for 35+ years - one way that I grind their grits is to remind them of the saying "As you believe, so shall it be, until you run into reality" -

Another is to tell how FA told me that, as a young woman she heard the creator say "I will never leave you" - seems to my eyes to be true - even tho he/she/it accompanied her into some pretty low spaces - and now into good spaces she couldn't have imagined a few years ago -

And to say that I've have seen the Murphy get baptised by a bunch of unconvential Christians - and, although the metaphor didn't take -I doubt that his explanation of how he ended up with the second greatest lady I know ( I got to marry the first) is any more believable than mine -the Creator does want to work for the best that can be in this messed up world -

And finally that, no matter what comes down (we have lived through at least four "It's all going to shit scenarios ")and despite being a thousand miles away - it is a joy that to know we have each other's back and, if any of you folks drop by, the party will continue to roll -

Thanks again

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger murph & freeacre said...

Aw, shucks, Mike...wouldn't have made it without you, Brother.

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damned good read, the third-to-last paragraph struck a nerve especially. thanks very much.

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger RAS said...

A timely post Freeacre. This conversation is going on all over the net. I agree that there is something to the idea of positive thinking. I've seen it myself. Attitude can make all the difference in things ranging from passing a class to beating cancer. But, like you say, there is definitely a limit. So many people think that if anything bad happens to you, it must be YOUR fault -even if it is Katrina blowing ashore.

I'm a pagan, but I have two problems with the overall New Age movement: the first is that they have no concept of enough, and the second is this belief that anything that goes wrong is due to negative thinking. Cancer? Think better! Laid off? Think better! And the right-wingers are even worse.

Somehow, I can't believe that many people think themselves into cancer, and I certainly can't believe the child slave laborers in 3rd world countries are there of their own accord!

What is enough? I think it varies from person to person, but it definitely does NOT include a McMansion and an SUV. For me, I would like good health, a loving partner, and some children. And if possible, a small spread in the country with a flock of chickens and a cow. I'm simple and easy to please, I guess.

Anonymous: about the older person getting the 50 year roof: maybe he/she wants to make sure that his/her grandkids or whomever gets the house next, has a nice tight roof that won't have to be replaced for a while. I think that is a sign of hope for the future, myself. But my definition of hope is a little bit different than mostk, I guess. I've alway thought that hope was best embodied by an old man planting a tree he will never have the chance to sit under.
Then again, I am a pagan, so maybe that's not so surprising!

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger murph & freeacre said...

Very thoughtful, ras, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Another aspect that is impossible for me to "swallow" anymore is saying grace over food that is commercially produced on factory farms, and eating it, as if it is somehow sanctified.
"I am grateful for this food, my Mother/Father God. Thank you to the animals...etc." as though their sacrifice, contamination with drugs and hormones, torture and hideous death was in any way voluntary. And ignoring the reality of the cruelty and pollution, exploitation, and dehumanization of the mostly immigrant workers who "process" them.
Prayer is good. But it has to come from being pure in heart, not clouded of mind.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Thone said...

About a century and a half ago, Thomas Carlyle wrote that the real question was not to increase the numerator but to decrease the denominator. Figure it out and it makes a lot of sense.

 
At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In this early morning, the sweet darkness of night still hangs below the clouds,the gentle spring rain joins the song of the family of crickets, waiting in my house, waiting for the warmth that will allow them to spread across the village.
The new grand daughter, whom i just saw yesterday for the first time is fulfillment of a kind that will enrich the earth.The children named her Sasha which seems to be Russian and if correct means the helper of mankind,or something like that.
i see hope in the eyes of these young children in spite of the fact that the world is going to hell in a hand basket, and that they are completely aware of that fact.
The love and gentleness that permeates from these youngsters brings tears of joy from this ancient one, you talk about fulfillment?
The drops of rain gathering on the blades of grass in the yard giving off rainbows in the morning sun,one would string them all together to make a necklace as a gift for mankind. The frogs singing in the creek are songs of the Spirit that gives them to us to do as we wish with them,should we eat them? or should we listen to their songs of peace and tranquility?
The touch of the Spirit goes unnoticed it seems,yet therein lies all the abundance that man-women kind could ever need in this world,the Great Provider which has sustained our brothers and sisters for millenium
upon millenium and in which without this energy of creation we would not even exist is everywhere!
It fills all space and even that place that humans have defined as Time.
So we thank you Great Spirit, we rejoice in this day of miracles,
which stands before us in radiant wonder.
Thank all of you that attend this Sacred council fire and that your life is uncluttered of the things that bring us pain and heartbreak,and are aware of the magic that surrounds us.
We stand in the full circle of the sun with hands in the sky.
See the feather floating upon the wind?
aho
mf

 
At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Folks,

If you haven't seen it before, do read Dmitry Orlov's article, "Closing the Collapse Gap". It can be found at several sites, here is one.
http://energybulletin.net/23259.html

He outlines the problem, it appears to me, very accurately and what the similarities and differences are between the US and Russian when it collapsed. He outlines also how you can prepare yourself. A good read and very informative.

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Freeman;

You are so good. I love you, brother.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger murph & freeacre said...

Montana,
I echo Rockpicker's sentiment. You have a natural perception of abundance, and it is reflected in your life. This beautiful and sacred web of life and land and water and air is the amazing gift that is our heritage - not what we have to purchase.
I'm sure that we would all like to hold the baby, Sasha, to our hearts and know for her that she is one with all that is.
I guess it is the babies that motivate us to heal this planet of the scourge that has denied our natural heritage. May she breathe pristine air, walk sunlit paths, and drink from crystal clear streams all of her life.
aho

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger murph & freeacre said...

Wow! I just read an article on Carolyn Baker's site http://www.carolynbaker.org/ It's the first one, by Kotke. It's about the End of the World as We Know It, but it also gives one hope that our species could actually mature and create a world that doesn't diminish the abundance that was at one time ours.
Also, I ran into a reason that the date of April 6 may, indeed, be the date chosen for the attack on Iran. The stock market takes a three day Easter Break, so if they attack on Good Friday, there will be the weekend, then the break, and the stock market might not react so violently. Plausible. Let's hope it doesn't happen, but just in case... duck and cover.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger RAS said...

If they attack Iran this weekend, it will show that they know more about economics than warfare! Iran is no "primitive nation" but rather a fully flegded modern warfare state. And our ships and planes would make pretty little targets in the light of a just past full moon!

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey ras,

It's amazing that we hear nothing about the US's abduction of 5 Iranians this winter (probably in Gitmo being tortured 'bout now), but we hear plenty about the 15 Brits that Iran grabbed alledging that they were in Iranian waters. Blair says that they were in IRAQI waters, but then, this is the same Tony Blair that said Saddam Insane could launch a chemical attack agains Isreal and others in 45 minutes.

Could one reason Iran grabbed these Brits (besides retaliation for their countrymen being abducted), be to release them right before a possible US attack on the 6th so as to make the US (Bush & DICK!) look like super-warmongers to the entire world, thus possibly causing entire world condemnation and even, get this, UN resolutions against the US?

I dono. Just thinking out loud.

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger RAS said...

I'm afraid that won't work, dude. The US is the only country in the world exempt from ALL international crime codes, war codes, etc. The US can do anything and not get in trouble for it. Even if that wasn't the case, since we're one of the permanent members of the UN Security Council, we could veto any action against us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home