Saturday, June 02, 2007

Notes from the Preparedness Front – RIP Otis

freeacre

I am going to feature my last comment from this site with Palookas’s Revenge’s response as a post of its own. The subject matter has drifted from “Bush as Dictator” and the conversation has taken a turn that deserves its own space, I think, however briefly. So, here goes:

“Well, on the Preparedness Homefront, I have some news for the collective memory banks...
Our rooster, Otis, who was a very spectacular, committed, and determined bird, became quite difficult to live with. He had begun to grow spurs and became very aggressive to the Murphman and myself. But, when we discovered severe injuries to the females, we decided that he had to go. So, this morning, after thanking him for being a terrific rooster in many ways, and wishing him well on his journey, we dispatched him with as little trauma as we could, although beheading is not exactly a peaceful act. He was a tough bird. I had to boil him for about 3 hours before he became tender enough to eat in a pot pie. Not bad, though.
All in all, I believe that if we have to butcher all the meat that we eat one day, we'll be eating a lot less meat.
I'm hoping that the hens will grow some feathers back and learn to stick together on their own. Time will tell.
The four new chicks are getting bigger, and probably at least one will be a male. Also, one new dove has hatched from the 3 new eggs, so life, as they say, goes on..”.

Palooka’s Revenge said…

“rip otis!

i wonder if he'd mind one final indulgence post feast to speak to murph's last question to me... how does this (by "this" you meant the role of denial?) tie into the deterioration of specific parts of the brain from environmental stress and the hard wiring of nerve synopses.

i really can't prove a connection there. but something was going on for him to become aggressive. was it just the old rooster syndrome? was he just being a rooster gettin cantanquerous in his old age cuz he's wired to do so? or did something happen in his environment to trigger it? and, if so, why did it manifest in this form?

whatever was going on on an energetic level likely was instrumental. his body responded by growing spurs to help him carry out the agenda of aggression. the aggression is a reflection of him using his power to over-ride and prey on his environment for some reason in his energetic politic relative to his environment.

something happened for him to respond this way and 10 to 1 he felt threatened for some reason. i grew up on a farm and not all roosters get aggressive in their old age. but they are wired with a tendency to be aggressive, even in young age. and they all grew spurs. we had chickens free-ranging around the homestead. the roosters used to chase my baby sister all the time. certain ones more than others but they were all in on it.

8 of us in the family and she was the only one they chased. she was afraid of them. i asked her once if she could remember if she was afraid of them before they started chasing her but she couldn't. all she could remember was being terrified.

yet she was the only one they chased. were they picking up on the fear and preying on it? what in her energy field mixing into their energy field triggered 'em? if she had been able to move with that fear allowing it to express in a state of acceptance for it to teach her what it was really all about and rooted in, would she still be afraid of roosters? would the roosters still have chased her?

only the fear and otis know.”

Back to me again…

Well, Palooka, that’s a damn good question…and, I don’t know if relates to the larger concepts of energetic responses and how we deal with aggression in society and in our personal lives. I know that when Otis would attack Murph, Murph’s reaction was warrior-like. He didn’t get mad, particularly, he just grabbed him by the throat and shook him until his attitude changed.

Now, being a female, I found myself identifying with the hens, who were getting quite beat up by this aggressive rooster. Two out of three had big bald spots on their backs and about a third of their wing feathers broken off, due to Otis being more of a pig than a rooster. Why did your roosters pick on your little sister? Probably because she was the smallest. Those who like to dominate, usually pick on the easiest to dominate. I was beating Otis off with a broom or a stick every time I walked out the back door to go to the garden or the greenhouse. It was becoming a hassle, as I am usually carrying something and didn’t have hands free to defend myself. Once we discovered deep puncture wounds on Cindy’s back, I felt keeping him around was becoming a form of “enabling” Otis to be abusive. Otis had to go.

Now, is it a coincidence that I was raised in an abusive home? That I am better equipped now to protect my hens and myself than I was to protect my mother? That I found a certain sense of “closure” and satisfaction in Otis’s demise? Maybe my step-father came back as Otis! Am I nuts? Who the hell knows?

I think you are right, though, that our lives and our culture play out our own often denied or repressed issues. If we are to make any real progress, I think forgiveness, big time, is in order. But some things are hard-wired. If you plant carrot seeds, you are going to get carrots, not apples or rutabagas, no matter how free they are.

It’s a new day on our little farmlet. We’ll try to make it a little better this time around.

As for The Empire? Darth Chaney, the Pod People, the Waterboarders, the Greedheads, the Frankenfiends, Pharma-fuckers, Moneymonsters, and other assorted misbegotten minions – for now, I am going fishing.

5 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy mother fucking god, i feel like i just attended the 0phry show, we are psychoanalyzing chickens?
Someone please tell me just how you cannot but love this council of everything and anything goes and is food for investigation.
OK,here goes,OTIS all along i new in my heart that you would be very tasty after the proper amount of respect was paid to your excellent place in the scheme of things.Little is actually known in regard to the wisdom of a beautiful but terroristic oriented creature such as your self, whom is simply doing his job, which is by some accounts really has a tendency to piss two leggeds off. And thereby think of tenderizing your testicular apparatus into the happy hunting ground and transferring your energy to another higher place.
This goes without saying Otis that you were such a beautiful addition to an otherwise drab and colorless chicken pen, because we all know that the boy chickens are much more pretty then the girl chickens.Which would lead one to conclude that the inappropriate behavior which to this day is actually shrouded in mystery has brought your existence to a tasty and appreciated end, i only wish i could have been there to share a leg or thigh on behalf of all those that have never been exposed to one such as you. You will be missed by those that knew you so well and i can hear the mutilated featherless barnyard strutters whispering to them selfs,"god he was such a good lay, but i'm really glad that son of a bitch is gone"!!
Now to the cure of such behavior, simply remove the legs of the beast, cut a round hole in a wooden crate with both ends cut out, place the fucker in the hole, bottom side down, and when the ladies get that female urge we all know so well they can simply walk through the box and get laid at their leisure and retain all their feathers at the same time.
i usually charge for good advice like this but beings we are all family here i will leave such greed to the neocons.
Farewell my feathered relative.You will re hatch soon and come back as a Raptor in order to thank those that enjoyed you so much.
the end.
mf

 
At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bird-brained advice, MF. Otis calls "fowl."

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahaha! Got to admit that I miss the crowing outside our bedroom window at all times of the day and night. Will try to do better with the next one. Maybe make him a velcrow suit and stick him to a wall when he gets out of line... or arm the females with spiked collars...or call Dr. Phil. It really is a process to learn to adjust to the new lifestyle..

 
At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Belgium,

Has anybody thought about giving our political leaders the Otis treatment when they get too cocky?
I wonder how long it would take to boil Bush tender?

I have heard it said that domesticated family animals usually pick their owner and I must admit that many pets turn up at my chair for a head scratch and a chuck under the chin.

When I arrived in Belgium I was told to be very beware of Bob, a street dog belonging to Chris’s daughter who sometimes bites people (the dog that is). When he tried it on with me, as he was always going to, I got down on my knees, got nose to nose with him, pointed my finger in his face and told him not to even fucking think about it. Later when he realized that I took him for longer walks than anyone else I became his best friend. Now this great lump springs onto my lap for a cuddle.

It doesn’t always happen this way though. Chris’s sister once had a Mechelse Schepper, a Belgian breed of the German Sheep dog which has had all the good bits bread out of them so that it is mostly wolf. This one was even more mental because it spent 95% of its life in a four foot steel bar cube. One day the whole family was standing on the lawn, dog included when it started growling and showing its teeth at me. I said “Your dog doesn’t like me”, so just to prove I was wrong the family members got in a huddle then rearranged themselves but the dog wasn’t being fooled by such an obvious ploy, it was me he didn’t like. I didn’t show fear but I decided that discretion was the better part of valor and didn’t give him the Bob treatment.

I don’t have a clue what the answer is but I have just Googled “Animal Psychology” and got results 1 – 10 of about 16,000,000 so have decided that it is too big a subject for me, you guys can do the grunt work.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger stoney13 said...

Animals are simple! Two rules! That's it!

(1) Show NO fear! When you show a carnivore fear, you become prey! When you show a herbivore fear, you become it's newest toy!

(2) Never, and I mean NEVER look a wild animal in the eye! That means the same thing as walking up to a man on the street and telling him his mother gives lousy head!

Looking an animal in the eye means that your measuring it for attack! I've seen tourists do this to bears, and the result is always unfortunate, (even if it's usually entertaining, with both bear and tourist beating a hasty retreat in oposite directions!)

All that being said, sex among the birds is usually pretty rough stuff! If Montan Freeman has ever seen Eagles mate in the wild, he can bear this out!

Roosters must first prove their worth by actually catching the hen before breeding takes place, and only after said rooster has fought off all other roosters in the vecinity (usully to the death!). Love amongst the chickens is more about murder and rape, than it will EVER be about love!

I never could figure out why "chicken" got tagged in the English Laguage as meaning "cowardly". Any one that knows chickens and their nature knows there isn't a cowardly bone in their bodies!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home